The History of The Round House - Chitterne


Acknowledgements Glossary Bibliography Webmaster

 

Chronological History of The Round House
Chitterne Wiltshire

1670-80 Origins: The central part of the house was probably built in about 1670-80 as part of the estate held by the Paulet family, Lords of the Manor of Chitterne St Mary.
1672 Lord of the Manor, Henry Paulet of Farnborough died and was succeeded by Francis Paulet.
1695 Lord of the Manor, Francis Paulet of Amport died and was succeeded by Norton Paulet.
1741 Lord of the Manor, Norton Paulet of Rotherfield died and was succeeded by his son Norton Paulet.
1758 Norton Paulet of Amport sold the Manor of Chitterne St Mary to Paul Methuen of Corsham.
1761-62 The Amesbury Turnpike Trust was set up. The Round House is on the section of the road from West Amesbury to Ansty Hill.
1795 Paul Cobb Methuen inherited estates in Chitterne St Mary, including the Round House, after the death of his father Paul Methuen.
1808 Joseph Brown Morris of Mere, became curate of Chitterne St Mary. He leased the Round House and lived there with his widowed mother Elizabeth Morris. Charlotte Folliott, widow of Gilbert Folliott, was probably their housekeeper.
1812 Elizabeth Morris died and was buried in the chancel of Chitterne St Mary Church. Her negro boy also died and was buried the following day beyond the graveyard boundary.
1814 The round end of the house was probably constructed.
1815 Joseph Brown Morris died and his brother Charles Morris took over the lease of the Round House and married Charlotte Folliott.
1816 Paul Methuen inherited estates in Chitterne St Mary, including the Round House, after the death of his father Paul Cobb Methuen.
1819 The benefices of Chitterne All Saints and Chitterne St Mary were united by deed.
1826 The Round House is mentioned in a schedule for sale of the Chitterne estates. Charles Morris aged 38, was the leaseholder under a 99 year lease determined on the lives of himself, his wife Charlotte aged 41 and James Folliot aged 25, at a rent of 1s.and heriot (death duty paid by tenants to their lord) of 5s.
1830 The Round House was amongst estates in both Chitternes bought by the trustees of the late Walter Long of Rood Ashton for 70,000 from Paul Methuen.
1841 The house is called Laura Cottage in the 1841 census.
1842 On the tithe map Charles Morris is noted as the leaseholder of The Round House, under Walter Long Esq.
1862 Charlotte Morris died on 8th February, aged 82 years.
1867 Walter Long of Rood Ashton died. Richard Penruddocke Long inherited the estate.
1868 The Amesbury Turnpike Trust was defunct. The effects, including the Chitterne gates, were auctioned off in 1871.
1875 Walter Hume Long inherited much of Chitterne including the Round House.
1878 Walter Hume Long raised 500 'pin' money for his future wife, Lady Dorothy Blanche Boyle, by transferring the "use" of The Round House, (together with other properties he owned) from himself to Viscount Lascelles, for a term of 99 years.
1879 Charles Morris died on 10th December, aged 94 years.
1881 The Census shows the house in an area of Chitterne called 'Gunville'. It was rented by the county police. In 1881, policeman, John Balch, his wife and 5 children lived there.
1882 The name Polden, with an unidentifiable initial, and the year 1882 is scratched into the plaster on the chimney breast in the round end attic.
1889 1889 is scratched on a brick in the left door jamb of the stable.
1891 The Census shows that the 'Round House' was still rented by the police and Police Constable John Cook, his wife and two children lived there.
1897 The Round House bought from Walter Hume Long for 70 by Alice Mary Langford, granddaughter of William Wallis of Chitterne St Mary Manor.
1901 Alice Langford lived at the 'Round House' alone in 1901.
1907 The two parishes of Chitterne All Saints and Chitterne St. Mary became the civil parish of Chitterne by an order of the Local Government Board.
1911 The house is called 'Tower House' in the 1911 census and occupied by Alice Langford alone.
1917 The Round House bought by George and William James Poolman.
1924 George Poolman died.
1950 A hard coating of Mendip Dust and cement was applied to the round end wall by David W. C. Frostick.
1963 Refurbishment by the Poolmans.
1968 William Poolman died on 10th January, aged 75 years.
1974 Elsie Poolman, William's wife, died on 12th December aged 80 years.
1976 David and Susan Robinson from Westbury bought The Round House in May, and after renovations moved in August 1976 with their two daughters Katherine and Jessica.
1977 Amy Jane Robinson born 30th September.
1979 Amanda Jo Robinson born 3rd October.
1982 A car-port with an archway entrance in the perimeter wall was built against the north side of the stable. The large horse chestnut tree that had dominated the south-west side of the lawn was taken down.
1986 A two-storey extension was added to the west end of the house.
1987 The Round House was listed Grade II.
1988 A new floor was built in the stable, at a lower level than the old hay-loft. This involved removing a beam and inserting tie-beams instead. Two sky-lights were installed in the east facing slate roof.
1990 David Robinson started an Engineering Draughting business called "Straight Lines", working from home.
2000 The filming of the Round House for a programme in the series 'The History Trail' for HTV.
2001 A new sash window was fitted to replace the odd casement window in the round bedroom.


This website is dedicated to Mandy Ellis
1979 - 2005

If you notice any faults with this site please report them to: Sue Robinson
Last update 22 March 2011